Monday, December 16, 2013

Paddington "slums" in the '60s ...


I love an old photo of Paddington and this one is a beauty.  This caught my eye at the launch of the Woollahra Plaque scheme and the local history staff helpfully sent a scan my way.  This was a slide that was taken by local resident Geoffrey Paton in the 1960's which has been donated to the local history centre.  The handwritten note on the border of the slide describes this as "Paddington slums from the Bowling Club.  Quarry St.  Woollahra c. 1960".

The biggest issue in trying to replicate this now is all the damn trees!  I am not convinced it was taken from the bowling club but I will tell you I recognise that intersection at the top middle of the photo.  That my friends is Gurner Street (so you can see the famous Corner Store).  The terraces on Cascade Street are quite easier to recognise as well.

2 comments:

  1. I have six 21 by 17 cm Cedric Emanuel's one of corner shop on gurner st and Oxford St plus one folding Christmas card of Paddington st outside and Victoria barracks entrance gate inside with some names of that sender or owner plus as in cover jacket seen as the charm that is Paddington seen it on Google already but none of the ones in my set of possible could you help me with any more information and possibly any value thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mistake it is not Oxford St it is corner of Duxford st and gurner st and it is two storey with terrace balcony and is a mixed business grocer's shop

    ReplyDelete